Thursday 19 May 2016

Neon Skull










So the location of the first ever Leeds Loop was decided for Neon Cactus so as there logo is a skull I decided to model a skull in Maya and animate it cackling with neon lights inside glowing and pulsating. Then I'm going to use a still for the posters, and make an electronic advertisement thing, with Neon Cactus' logo the skull laughing and Leeds LoopdeLoop somewhere in it. 


So I started by trying to make the skull from a cylinder. This kind of failed, I inserted too many edge loops. See Below:



So Mat Clarke, showed me how to model from starting with a polygon, which I just couldn't get my head round, after inserting a couple of subdivisions there was too many points to map it out for my little head, so Matt showed me how to model from an image plane. I got a bit carried away with detail and my mesh was just outrageous. I got a bit carried away with the multi cut tool. But It was fixable with triangulation and then quad'ing and then I just had to get rid of all the long triangles and it looked something like this when mirrored.



And then I started texturing and adding glow lights in the eyes, and I got an image to do an image based lighting sphere. The animations still a bit off, I can't get the top part to move nicely with the lower jaw, but I got an amazing cackle off of freesound.org. 




 I tried doing lights in the eyes, but it wasn't working so I went for spheres that give off a glow. I think if I was to do this again I would have modelled it in Mudbox.


I didn't like how the glow looked after doing the sphere because i think it spills too much infront of the skull so I put in green planes to green screen out the holes and I'll do some pulsing colours in photoshop or after effects afterwords. I also want to do the neon cactus logo inverted flashing in neon colours which I'm going to do in photoshop, having it say Neon Cactus flashing, underneath presents, then loop de loop logo with the fuzzy glow light in neon colours on a black background leeds then the skull and the time date and theme. Then combine all the info onto an A2 portrait page for a poster.





No comments:

Post a Comment