Tuesday 6 October 2015

David Bowie Is Exhibition











Exclusively for the Telegraph original storyboards, by David Bowie, for the Ashes to Ashes video, 1980

The David Bowie Is Exhibition is a touring collection of costumes, lyric notes, art work, storyboards (&animatics) film memorabilia from the life of Bowie. With over 300 objects this rare once in a lifetime opportunity to see all the stuff in one room was a chance I could not pass upon.

I went not expecting to have any influence on my own creative practice, but I loved the animatics, I have tried everywhere to find a way to share with you what I saw because it's so difficult to describe, the most seventies scribbly drawings with a bit more animation in than your storyboard on a timeline it was just so cool looked only vaguely like a video it represented but so much development and just a amazing to see how the cogs turn in the man's mind.

There were also stage set designs from concerts, some that were too ambitious to use on tour and others that were used 3D miniature sets which were incredible to see, you could so see them as animation set and his costumes are just out of this world. I didn't realise that he actually commissioned Alexander McQueen, whilst McQueen was still studying at St Martins and as Bowie's career kickstarted it helped McQueens. How ace is that, it's like he's always magnetised other creatives that are as talented as he is in there field.



I don't really know how I'd take this into my practice but I think just seeing this is one day going to come back as inspiration and well deserved a PPP Blog post on as it was one of the things I saw in Australia that blew my mind.


https://www.acmi.net.au/exhibitions/bowie/

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/9889711/Star-Man-David-Bowie-at-the-VandA-in-pictures.html?frame=2490437

No comments:

Post a Comment