Sunday 2 November 2014

Embroided Music video.



A music video for the band Throne in production with Channel 4 and Dazed Digital, helped funded by Kickstarter a large number of backers.

I did textiles at A-Level so I know a thing or two about sewing, now don't be fooled by this video, it's not rotoscoped and it's not hand stitched. What they've had to do is hand draw every frame and then print it through a Machine Sewing Machine. One very similar to those that do polo shirt logo's and emblems. I thought this was genius. It's animation technique is so innovative. I am also amazed at how long it is to withstand all these frames that have been printed, because that will have been a long time to wait for each one to print. I wonder how much thread they went through. When I looked into it I was able to find these super cool photos. I love seeing behind the scenes, I'd be really interested to see what the animation looked like before it was printed.




It does remind me of the Tame Impala video I looked at last year by Becky and Joe where every frame was drawn and then "coloured in" with plasticine, to make individual frames so you could see the finger marks. I love the lengths we animators go to, to find the perfect visual aesthetics. I'd love to use this technique there's just so many ways you could push it. I just wish I'd thought of it first! (also note to self remember to turn the sound off when watching ).


http://www.nicoslivesey.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment