Sunday 15 February 2015

Jan Pypers

http://www.janpypers.be



Jan Pypers is a Belgium freelance photographer, who I discovered on Trendland. I think it's important to take inspiration from all areas of the art world and design industry, I think it's good to appreciate them because in some way or another they can inspire your own practice.

There are two main elements skillfully stage-managed by Pypers: dreams and paranoia. The hare is seen hidden on conspicuous corners, to casually sitting on a windowsill; this character drifts from one extreme to the other effortlessly, always casual and calm. The female character is the opposite, bringing obvious drama to the forefront. The surrealism of the hare with the paranoia of the dame in distress.
http://trendland.com/the-mysterious-hare/


This one is my favourite piece, the composition and lighting is simply hypnotic, it sets up for a really mysterious scene and makes the viewer ask so many questions about what the hare is doing. The scenes he has captured in the Hare series are so surreal it makes you question whether or not they are photographs, I think this is what makes this series stand out to his others because they are so captivating and intriguing.


He does class himself as a fine art photographer and sells them as prints, what I often find difficult with fine artists no matter the medium, there often is a lot of lengthy analysis into them and the meanings behind the work which is often nonsense. I don't think I need to do that here, Trendland already commented on the themes of the surreal hare, and the dame in distress. I think in this series yeah the Hare is surreal but the dame never looks like she's in distress, I think if I was to talk about it I'd say it'd have more to do with him being someone who isn't comfortable in his own skin/hair but he's found someone to love but he's too afraid to approach. I think it would make an amazing short film, in films you have directors of photography, that work with the camera and lighting crew to make a certain look of a film and I think this guy would make an amazing Director of Photography.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment