Thursday 22 May 2014

Art and Disney Princesses


























Here's two really interesting articles I've come across both relating too disney princesses. The first is from an artist, Claire Hummel, who really interested in getting the historical facts right, especially when it comes to costumes. So she's created a series of works that show Disney Princess' in accurate costume. On the whole the characters are still recognisable but there's a lot more detail in the designs. I can perfectly understand why designs would be simplified from an animators point of view, more detail just means so much more work, when they are all taken from feature length films as well I'd simplify them.
http://clairehummel.com/

 http://www.stumbleupon.com/su/1KSU0F/:F.4d5D_z:jjgqR+Vg/geekdraw.com/2014/04/gender-flipped-disney-ghibli-characters-sakimichan/







The second article is about gender flipped disney and studio Ghibli characters. I don't think they are quite as successful as the costumes. The artist Sakimi Chan is primarily a fan artist. I think what lets thee illustrations down is how anime inspired the male characters are and therefore they look quite girly. I do however really really like the firey blue woman who I think is a female Poseidon.

I looked at the artist's work and it is primarily anime, and really it's just not my cup of tea I think it's so hard to get your own personality into anime, as a style of character Ghibli owns it, to me you can't draw your own anime character and call it original. But that's fine because Chan's work is fan art, I just really liked the concept of role reversal, I think we have to challenge all the notions that are in the animation industry and rewrite the rules and create our own revolution of what animation is.

No comments:

Post a Comment