Tuesday 20 May 2014

The Double Richard Ayoade



After watching Richard Ayoade's last film Submarine, I was not expecting anything like what was on screen. I was just shocked at how dark this was. It was such a thought provoking film because you kept doubting yourself as to whether or not this guy had Schizophrenia. I really enjoyed it. Cinematically this film was unbelievably beautiful, with its flawless lighting, that varied in amber orange/yellow and then stark contrasty ice blue. Along with the dodgy eighties graphics and 90's computers with the vintage costume pieces for all the characters. Everything in this film taken out of this film would be out of place in reality but it all meshed together to tell this story.

I personally find it really really hard to like Jesse Eisenberg as an actor, he just has something about his tone of voice and the way his head hangs slightly more forward than most peoples that is a little bit creepy, I think he makes a better bad guy in this film than he does good guy which is probably the only thing that lets it down for me. It reminded me a lot of Michael Cera in Youth in Revolt where his schizophrenic partner is him with a moustache. I think with this film I was expecting a little bit more comedy and light hearted atmosphere, but I still enjoyed it. I don't think I'd sit through it again though.

No comments:

Post a Comment