Tuesday 20 May 2014

MSMR

http://secondhandcaptures.msmrsounds.com/

MSMR are a band that for the promotion of there album, 'Second Hand Captures', they commisioned cinematographers to put together loops for each song for the music videos. I found them fascinating, almost hypnotic and quite bizarre because there looped sequences, they never perfectly in time to the song. Which I don't think I like. I just thought it was an interesting concept, and I think there a massive market out there for animation for music videos and it's way to get big hits and get your name out there fast by tagging onto the tail coats of a musician/band.  I think I'm indifferent to most of these but I think there's nice elements in each one. In particular, Luke Gilford directed the one with the ferris wheel and the girl swishing her hair. There's one shot where the light is caught in her hair and on the side of her face which is still imprinted in my brain even though it's been over a month since I started to write this blog post and there's another nice shot where the wheel is used as a halo stained glass type effect. I think it would of been more successful for him if every shot had been to this quality, but he's still done well for himself.


No comments:

Post a Comment