Thursday 15 May 2014

Easy as Pi





I absolutely adored this indonesian short film. It's for a really well known department store and the girl is wearing and using things they sell for either last season or the season before, but it's like subliminal advertising. I think the narrative is so well constructed with the fast shots yet it remains smooth. I like how the camera is always on a tripod. I think the female lead character is so relatable. She's like the indonesian version of what I'm like in my head. I love it. I think just like her. It's just one of those videos that make you smile. It's just a clever yet simple narrative girl gets up gets ready goes to florists orders herself flowers to arrive to her doorstep meets random guy gets him to be on the doorstep at the same time so it's like she's received flowers from him and then she shuts door on him because she just want flowers. She's like every other girl though over thinking every detail.

Don't you just love her dancing? That's how I dance. It's so Moonrise Kingdom.

I Looked into the director, and I discovered that he is primarily a fashion photographer who happened to do his degree in film and mass communication, and then I came across this behind the scenes video:




And decided that actually what I like most about this film was the script which was written by Lillian Ng. But unfortunately I was unable to find more on this elusive lady.

If you enjoyed the film you should totally give the behind the scenes a watch because they have some ace storyboards for the short, and great viewpoints on how fashion is a form of storytelling and what better way to combine fashion and film and tell a story.

No comments:

Post a Comment