Wednesday 23 April 2014

Inside Chanel

http://inside.chanel.com/

I felt like such a little fashionista when I discovered this website, it's aa collection of short moving image pieces that each relate to the brand Chanel and say something about the development of the company, kind of giving an inside Glimpse to the brand.

My favourite video is number five:
Chapter 5: Coco - Inside CHANEL from CHANEL on Vimeo.

The motion graphics in this piece are just absolutely stunning. It just says that they are all led by KArl Lagerfeld and it doesn't say who else is involved but I imagine, in my head that he did all the work. I have a bit of weird crush on him, I just think he is so interesting, I watched his film (i think it's from 2007) and it's a documentary on himself and has a million rings and only drinks coke zero and speaks four different languages and just has so many curious traits that make him who he is. The films later on the brand are of him and say quite a lot about his tastes and personality. I could imagine he wouldn't make a very good friend but to be a fly on a wall in his life would be so interesting.

Anyways back to the motion graphics of this piece, obviously it doesn't tell you anything new if you've seen Audrey Tatou's performance of Chanel in Coco before Chanel, but it echo's the black and white style of the brand and I think it's slick movements and perfect pace of the information reiterates the fact that it is a high end luxury brand.

There's also video about how Marilyn Monroe was a big promoter of the brand and I think the film on her wearing No.5 to bed isn't put into enough context to understand the controversialness of what she's actually saying, it was a big deal to talk openly about being naked in the media. Hence when the recording hidden for so long. So i think context is needed but also they should be taken with a pinch of salt. I think like anything the brand isn't perfect but it's moving on with the times and I'm so suprised how film and moving image really is becoming a big deal in the fashion industry even brands that don't advertise are having to compete and have there own films and animations to stay in the loop with the way technology is moving forward. At the minute it's mainly film that's being taken on but I reckon motion graphics and animation is going to follow and in a few years they'll all want animations for there shows, and to tell the history of the brand on the net instead of films, just to be more modern and futuristic and interactive.

No comments:

Post a Comment