Sunday 20 April 2014

Internships for Summer 2015

I have decided to research Internships. My reasoning behind doing this is because of instead of finding a work placement this summer, I actively want to set up myself, therefore in preparation after the networking evening in Bradford I have decided to set up my own Brand Identity. Therefore I going to create my own website, I'm going to create business cards, work on a few key animations and set up a practice showreel, that at christmas I'll go back and improve to apply for an internship. My other plan for summer is to just work loads and save up so if I do get the opportunity to get a internship at a big brand I'll be able to pay for the flights and so forth. To me this is a big investment, in becoming more worldly and also if you can put that on your CV it'll make you stand out from the crowd. As well as looking at the big wigs I am also looking into TV options and options in the UK which would be also a fantastic opportunity. Rather than focusing on one I want to improve my chances of getting at least one by applying to as many as possible and then sticking to the biggest name, because at the end of the day that's the one that's going to be the best investment for my CV. The other issue is that a lot of the Intern's only accept Juniors which in america would be the end of your third year of a four year degree, so I think if they see my foundation by the end of next year I'm the equivalent age of a Junior. I am surprised at how many places only take enrolled students, not graduates, so I'm really going to have to up the anti and bring my best work. I've just seen that most big studio's offer entry level positions to graduates rather than internships, which is quite exciting, but obviously your probably in better stead to get it with a decent internship.

Pixar, Emeryville CA.
When looking on the website it's hard to know precisely what position I would apply for as all the positions are shut for this year so there's no extra information, but I think I would be happiest in any of these four area, Art department, designing characters and so on, a little bit reluctant that it says they've to be brought to life in 3D. As I haven't explored 3D yet this might be a weakness, I also like the idea of Project Management, including the finances of the project, I think this would be really interesting to learn about the costs and setting deadlines, because this would be the most useful if I was to go solo. Then there's the story department through storyboarding and putting them into an animatic. I think for this I would have to improve my drawing skills but I think this one actually might be the most appealing.
http://www.pixar.com/careers/Available-Internships
http://www.internshipking.com/pixar-internship#

Disney, Glendale CA.
Again this has changed since I last looked at the vacancies, and although it's a big name requirements include knowledge in aftereffects and Cinema 4D for the basic levels, I think I'm just a bit too traditional for some of these placements, I feel like I've got a lot to learn to even meet the basics of some of these applications. But I refuse to be put off I still try and at least then at best you might get some feedback.
This one is the only one that's currently open which looks to be exactly like what Chris is doing in London.
https://sjobs.brassring.com/tgwebhost/jobdetails.aspx?partnerid=25348&siteid=5039&jobid=158565
http://www.indeed.com/viewjob?jk=c8a23280764105a1&qd=IMuqybKpc--mXyzKlAlecoyt96gUxDYkxS02fIxhJidaJQHUUsrGWR79pGyEgJ6yOqzKcyG_L3lLV-0mL4DVaZCHCCBZRkS8e03k5wO0A9s&chnl=internshipking&atk=18lvbd2cl0nj14uv&utm_source=publisher&utm_medium=organic_listings&utm_campaign=affiliate

Sony CA
Since I was last on the website a lot of the concept artist, and art design and animation internships have been taken down as the deadlines passed but I still know they are there and they actually looked really interesting and aren't as 3D based as Pixar's. When looking this time I saw one which caught my eye because it's more TV based.

Job Description
Spectrum Intern Summer 2014: Sony Pictures Television Comedy, Drama, & Non-Scripted Production-CUL00001966

Description
This department is responsible for the production of all Sony Pictures Television Comedies, Dramas, Animation, Game Shows, & Non-Scripted Programming. Every aspect of producing a television show can be experienced through this department. An intern will be exposed to everything from script development, budgeting, legal, risk management, and business affairs issues, to the supervision/management of television shows in production. Currently we have 21 series. These series include: The Michael J Fox Show, The Goldbergs, Community, Black List, Justified, Rake, Masters of Sex, Franklin & Bash, The Queen Latifah Show, The Sing Off, Dr. Oz, and Shark Tank.

Interns will work in Television Production. An intern’s duties will include, reading scripts & discussing the projects in the various stages of development and production, assisting in distribution, watching & discussing dailies and the rough cuts of our shows, script collating, proper phone etiquette, calendar management and updating, learning about call sheets, production reports, schedules and various production documents.

An Intern will get an up close & personal view of the various stages involved in taking Scripted & Non-Scripted projects from an idea to a finished project. An Intern will be able to visit Scripted & Non-Scripted sets on the Sony Lot, be in attendance to Table Reads, Production Meetings, Live Tapings, and Location Shoots. They will have the opportunity to see the process of what it takes to get a show on the air & how it’s managed once it’s on. This Internship is an excellent introduction to Television Production and will prepare an intern for an entry-level position.

Qualifications

The Spectrum Internship Program's summer session is a full-time, 40 hour/ week commitment lasting for an 8 week period from late June through mid-August. All applicants must be in good academic standing and available for the entire 8 week session.

An ideal candidate should have a professional manner. They should be a quick study, be able to multi-task, complete tasks in a timely fashion, be an amazing listener, follow instructions but also be an independent thinker who can be very detailed oriented. They should also be organized, a team player, and have good “people skills”. The intern should be proficient in Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel, and possess general office knowledge. We also encourage our interns to contribute their own ideas & aid with problem solving. Undergraduate preferred.

There's lots of other marketing and project management opportunities, I think this is the one that suits me best offering a compromise between my two interests.

This one looks at lot like what Warnerbros offer for film grad's, which interesting how similar the two companies are.

Cartoon Network, part of Turner Broadcasting, based in Atlanta and NYC
The Students@Work Internship Program provides on-the-job experience to student volunteers. Apply for internships in Atlanta, outside of Atlanta or abroad.
To explore internships in Atlanta, review the information below. You can also apply for domestic internships outside of Atlanta or International Internships via the Time Warner job site.

In our Atlanta offices, internships are available in the following areas:
CNN
Turner Entertainment Networks
TBS International
Turner Network Sales
Turner Sports
Turner Broadcasting Corporate offices
CNN Newsource Sales
Animation
Young Adults
Kids Media
and many more...
Requirements for Student Interns
You must be a college junior, senior or graduate student and you must still be enrolled in school during the time of the internship.
Possess a strong academic record
Submit a resume and cover letter online
Have appropriate course credits (if required)
Possess proper Visa authorization (for international students) ** need to research.
Internship Application Deadlines
http://www.turner.com/careers/#/careers/job-details/141910BR
I know I'm doing animation but TV and Film are major interests of mine and before I could see any animation interns this one at CNN sounds so groovy, almost like being a runner for production, I can picture myself doing that role. So I might just check this website end of this year for other opportunities as well.

I think the key with these applications is to get them in early as well to show good time management so I think I'm going to aim to be ready to send the first lot off in december/january time.

Here are the duties for the Cartoon Network internship, which suprisingly to me sounds again much more like a runner, but it does sound very cool,

Duties: The Cartoon Network Studios Operations department is seeking a motivated intern to gain an understanding of the daily needs as well as the long term planning for facility management and operations involved in a major Studio. Intern will assist in a variety of projects within the department on a multitude of assignments which include but are not limited to facilities services and project management. Student will be exposed to both the administrative and facilities duties of our buildings, including repair projects and reviewing best practices on conducting safety inspections for code compliance. Will provide support with scheduling, organising, and setting up events. In addition, will assist with filing, scanning, and scheduling calls. There will also be the opportunity to participate in meetings about the planning and implementing of specific facility projects including renovations. During the internship, student will learn to follow proper office procedures, phone protocol, operational record keeping, and other paperwork procedures commonly used in the daily function of the department.

Special projects may be assigned. Candidate will also have the opportunity to participate in several internship workshops. I actually think this would suit me as working in customer service I have the confidence to talk to people on the phone, and I am so good at organising other peoples time management, not always my own, and also you'd get such a good insight to a well rounded view point of the studio because you'd make so many connections, so this is one I am definitely going to apply to. And I think that the creative side would come as a reward for the harder you work. I reckon you could so totally work late and make friends with the animators and learn more that way. I bet this internship is better than it sounds.

Blue Sky
Since looking at this program that David spread the information has now gone off the page, but it was very similar to the big wig's, you have to be an american Junior you have to know maya and C++ plugin for 3D work, it's ten weeks long but you basically apply and they'd place you where you think you'd be best suited. I think it looks really good, but it doesn't has the same reputation. Yes, we have a summer internship program open to students in their junior year, recent graduates 3 months out of school and graduate students. Deadline is April 11th.

http://blueskystudios.com/working-here/internship-program/

Dreamworks
I hate to say this but I'm rather disappointed with the interface of this website to browse them, however it's such a bigwig and the big office in Glendale looks amazing. I am amazed at the range of choices in the list of internships. If I had to choose then I think this is the broadest most creative, and also most popular one chosen,
Training Intern (Summer)
Now accepting resumes for the Summer Program (full-time, paid) starting around 6/2/14.

DreamWorks Animation seeks an Intern for the Digital Training department in Glendale, CA. Intern will learn about the digital training process for various production artists (Animator, Effects Artist, Surfacer, Matte Painter, etc.) at an animation studio, including gaining an operational knowledge of training lab equipment. Intern will have opportunity to attend training classes to learn about the animation pipeline and the software used to create our movies. Intern will have opportunity to meet with artists from departments of interest to learn about the day to day process for those departments.
Qualifications

Must be a Junior or Senior BA/BS candidate currently enrolled in a four-year college or university. Must be interested in CG animated feature film production and have experience in graphic and/or web design and 2D/3D digital media. Must be proficient with Word, Excel, Gmail, & Photoshop in a Windows environment. Must be detail-oriented and possess excellent written skills. We are not able to sponsor international students in Overhead departments.

If you are interested in this internship, please send a cover letter and resume to internships@dreamworks.com, indicating SUMMER GLN TRAINING INTERN in the subject line.

I think with this kind of internship you might not necessarily expect great things but afterwards the reputation of Dreamworks would definitely help bring great things.

http://www.dreamworksanimation.com/company/careers/internships

Laika
Unfortunately Laika don't currently offer there internships to international students, but if they did I'd be straight on that, because they look amazing. As far as internships go that don't involve running and general office business, this appears to be the most creative of the internships and the ones where your actually going to learn and develop your skills more than a term at uni. Also Laika has become the biggest arthouse name in animation studio terms in the past few years it is recognised around the world. So as amazing it would be to intern there, I think I'll just have to check again next year and hope they are taking internationals.

In other news super excited for boxtrolls looks amazing here's a teaser trailer if you haven't seen it already. It looks practically french the character design is that mesmerising.



https://laika.silkroad.com/epostings/index.cfm?fuseaction=app.welcome&category_id=85004&company_id=15887&version=2&startflag=1&parent=LAIKA+ENTERTAINMENT+INTERNSHIPS&levelid1=85004

BBC
BBC offer two weeks work experience slots, so this might be a nice add on to do before applying for an internship at a bigwig studio, I think it's something I'll have to keep looking into. I think more than anything this would just be interesting if you got into like a children's TV department you'd learn so much about what's currently out there and make great connections.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/careers/work-experience/search-and-apply

Channel 4
Channel 4 don't really do any internships/scholarships related to what i feel like doing but they are having a 4talent day in bradford later this year which might be interesting. If there's people there from the industry that might have things to say about media and TV in general.
http://4talent.channel4.com/4talent/4talent-days

Nickelodeon
I would actually feel very privileged to end up at a studio like Nickelodeon as although there name and output aren't on the same reputation as the big wigs, in TV series cartoon standards the big three that run the studio have all been apart of such legendary shows,
http://nickanimationstudio.com/jobs/internships/

Aardman
Aardman only take 2-3 interns a year from what I can gather, I have been checking weekly for the past four months on opportunities, but I'm pretty sure they are all either from a University they have an agreement with or from industry. However they do have some great advice for your showreel so I'm going to research this in a separate blog post as this one is getting a bit long.

Studio Aka
Unfortunately, I can't work out whether Studio AKA offer internships because although it currently says theres none available I don't know whether there ever was for this year, so this one I'll have to keep checking I have been doing for the past three months but I probably just left it too late.
https://www.studioaka.co.uk/Contact/Home


Warner Bros, Burbank CA
Warner Bros internship don't excite me as much as the others, but there's an excitement in the name. I think the main ones I've found are for social media and marketing so I might have to wait until christmas time to find one which is more creative and suited to my personality.
http://www.warnerbroscareers.com/search-jobs/?141428BR


HTC, San Fransisco CA.
I've also found this internship at HTC which is actually really interesting for an animation student to be in house at a company imagine the wonders it'd do for your portfolio and CV. Even though it's not big in animation and it's quite specific I think there's a premium that comes with the company HTC. The new HTC M8 looks so much better than IPhone and has been rated better by the top gadgets I can't wait to upgrade my oneS to it. I think I fit into this brand and I think the standards are the best of the best in there industry and that's what you'd expect from an internship there.

http://ch.tbe.taleo.net/CH03/ats/careers/requisition.jsp?org=HTC&cws=1&rid=499&source=Indeed

Zynga, San Fransisco CA.
Zynga are currently offering two quite different internships, one half aimed at designing game and game platforms as well as animation actually requires a lot of computer science knowledge and

knowledge of java, and java script and python. Where as the product management is described as requiring these skills;
Strong analytics and problem solving skills a must
Past exposure to a product management role and/or writing product specifications is helpful
Passion for creating fun and compelling user experiences
Experience with metrics-driven decision making
Outstanding written and oral communication skills
Strong organizational and analytical skills with attention to detail
Demonstrated capacity for developing and understanding strategy
Strong aptitude for determining the optimal way to position products in the market
A track record for high performance and team/project leadership
Enthusiastic, performance-driven self-starter and team player
Technical background not required. An interest in technology is a must.
Working towards a BA, BS, or MBA degree.

Which doesn't really narrow down exactly what you'll be doing I think it means that you'd just have to fit into the brand, and learn about all the jobs. What I think would be most interesting working for Zynga, is how they are so profitable through making slot machines and developing the money into time lapse addictive games like farmville and cityville. But most importantly they created draw something which I just got hooked onto and Words with friends. I actually think that there's a massive industry for app games like these that can gross millions of pounds. So although this company may not be my first choice, it would make for an interesting three months.

http://company.zynga.com/careers/positions/internco-op-product-manager-current-students

Obviously this list isn't exhaustive, I've mainly stuck to america, I haven't looked at 20th century fox, paramount, lucasfilms, etc etc so this is just the start of my collection. But basically I am determined to have options and hope for the best.

TO DO:
Website
Business cards
Show reel
Visa enquiry
Work out costs of flying and how much required to save

List of softwares mentioned:
Aftereffects
Cinema 4D
Maya (including C++)
Java/Java Script
Python

UPDATE:
Lucas Films info;
https://jobs.lucasfilm.com/internships.html
Animade offer internships check back regularly for more information
Note to self, boomerang is part of Turner house too.

No comments:

Post a Comment